Thursday, August 23, 2007


Treatment No. 2


I wake up around 8:15am having dreampt that I was in surgery all night. During my dream, Dr. Gemis, my surgeon had an afro and I could hear everything he was saying while he cut me open. I wouldn't say that it was scary... it was just very unpleasant to have to wake up and actually go to the hospital.


We arrived at Surgical Day at 9:30am. We checked in and were told to go to the end of the hall to cubicle 6. Joan was my nurse. She's been through cancer twice. Back then, they left her port-a-cath in for 5 years!! She's extremely nice with a great sense of humor... which really helps.

I get my IV in my left hand and then we wait for almost 2 hours.



While I wait, Dr. Mom looks over my charts. We are really bored and cold and I refuse to be distracted by the TV. Another nurse comes over to gossip with Mom about the old days and people from the past, while I worry about if I'm going to be completely asleep during the port-a-cath procedure.


Dr. Gemis comes in to see us. He doesn't have an afro but his surgical bathing cap looks pretty rediculous. He pokes at my neck to see where exactly he wants to insert the port-a-cath. He says it shouldn't take longer than a half hour and that I will rest in the recovery room for about an hour. Good, good, let's get this over with. I go into surgery around 11:30am.

I wake up in the recovery room, like always, with a lot to say to everyone. Dr. Gemis comes darting in huffing that he didn't realize I needed the port-a-cath to be accesible for chemo this afternoon. He pokes my right shoulder a couple of times really hard while I tell him that I need to take his picture. The next thing I know, he's gone and the recovery nurse, Marge is bestowing all the best anecdotes for baldness... I'm saying "oh really" and "yea" and then she puts some stuffed animals in my arms and I'm wheeled back to good old cubicle 6 where lunch is waiting.

I look hot after surgery :)


Me and Mom have lunch. My turkey sandwhich is dry and I can barely swallow it because the oxygen mask made my mouth so dry. So instead of choking to death I have a spoonful of onion soup and opt for the vanilla ice cream.



Then, Joan comes for me. I'm late for chemo and everyone wants to go home. Tell me about it. Joan gives me a vicodin and wheels me up to the third floor. It's chemo time!




Joan and I say farewell. I think she was sort of glad to be rid of me. I named the dog after her and I think she took slight offense.

I sit in my recliner and Kay gives me some tylenol and tries out the new port-a-cath. It is so much better than getting stabbed repeatedly!!

I get my chemo and it's pretty uneventful. Kay was super tired as was I and Mom too. I took all of my drugs like a good girl and Mom took a nap. I had a Luna bar. And we went home. Like all of my favorite places, we pretty much closed the joint.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patty!!!!! It's Asia!! I follow your blog super carefully, i'm so proud of you! and you do look hot after surgery :) heeheh

Love,
Asia

Anonymous said...

for a minute I thought they were going to put the port-a-cath somewhere else...but then I found the wikipedia link and was enlightened. (whew!)
yo propongo una noche de peliculas en español. dime si te interesa. (ya has visto 'el laberinto del fauno', verdad? if you haven't, i'm coming over right now.)
my grandma is visiting. otherwise life is pretty uneventful. you want some frijoles negros?
keep up the good blogging!
xoxoxoxox

Unknown said...

patty, you are amazing, im really speechless after i read your blogs everytime, you seem to be taking everything soooo well and you keep so strong. ¡¡como siempre te extraño y nos vemos en dos semanas!! espero que estés lista para nikki y yo.

suerte,
dan

Anonymous said...

You're amazing! This one made me laugh... You're adorable after surgery! (That actually is a really good picture of you.) Call me soon. Love you!

Driscolls said...

Patty:
Your website is incredible. It is great to be able to keep up with your progress. We think about you every day. Keep up your positive attitude and sense of humor and you will beat the hodgkins!...You do look pretty darn cute after your surgery so no picking up any doctors while you are at the hospital! Hope to stop by and see you soon. Love, Auntie Carolyn, Uncle Paul, Matt, Dan and Emma.

Unknown said...

p-diddy! jen sent me the link to your blog and i can't even begin to tell you how amazing you are! you're probably the strongest, bravest, most eloquent and good-humored person i've ever known. please know that you're in my thoughts, prayers, and heart!

all my love,

~ andrea